Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Idols(part four)

This is the last point and the review in my devotional at creation....

IDOLS OF TODAY
Entertainment is a large idol of our world today. Some things this includes are movies, food, sports, and MUSIC! None of the those are necessarily bad, but they can be. You need to be careful what you are focusing on, this world is not Christ centered and wants you to focus on their product that they are selling you. The reason I bring up this last point is because we are at a huge music festival, and music can tend to be our focus, or in other word or “idol” while we are here. You need to make sure that the reason you are here the reason you are listening to the music is for the glory of God, not for your own personal ejoyment. If Christ is truly your idol you will stive to please him. I found this verse a while ago in my morning devotions that apply to this whole topic of getting rid of your idols,it is 1 Samuel 12:20, "And Samuel said to the people, 'Do not be afraid; you have done all this evil. Yet do not turn aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart'." At the end there it says with ALL of your heart, you can't serve your idol and God. You must serve him alone, God must be your idol.
CONCLUSION
1. LOCATE THE IDOL IN YOUR LIFE
2.. GET RID OF THE IDOL PUT IT AWAY OR ABOLISH IT
3. MAKE YOUR HEART RIGHT BEFORE GOD
4. MAKE THE LORD YOUR IDOL, YOUR ONE CONSOMING PASSION

2 comments:

Tony Kevin said...

Don't put it off or abolish it. just abolish it.

And this might be weird since you mentioned music as a potential idol, but here's some lyrics to a great song:

This World
By Caedmon's Call

There's tarnish on the golden rule
And I wanna jump from this ship of fools
Show me a place where hope is young
And a people who aren't afraid to love

(Chorus)
This world has nothing for me and this world has everything
All that I could want and nothing that I need

This world is making me drunk on the spirits of fear.
So when he says who will go, I am nowhere near.

And the least of these look like criminals to me
So I leave Christ on the street

This world has held my hand and has led me into intolerance
But now I'm waking up, but now I'm breaking up
But now I'm making up for lost time



good post brother.

and again, you are on blogging fire! yay.

iron girl said...

Hey man great thoughts. I wish I could have heard you teach it! You should speak on that for your when its your time to do a devotion for soccer! I can definatly work on totally getting rid of idols in my life, instead of putting them just on the shelf for awhile.